Many of our clients at Evolutions Medical Spa Santa Barbara are anxious to keep their skin in the best condition that they can. The questions we receive – from women in their 20s to 60s and beyond – have inspired us to invite a skin expert to guest author about skin care tips and concerns for women of all ages. Some posts will be geared towards a certain age group while others will be general beauty tips for all ages to enjoy!
Skin Care Tips for Women in Their 40s
Forties can be considered a time of transition for many. For a large majority of women, this time marks the onset of peri-menopause – the beginning of menopause – and subsequently a decline in the estrogen and progesterone hormones. Unfortunately your fertility is not the only thing that is affected by this change of life. Your collagen, elasatin and other crucial components of your skin’s underlying support system also begin to decline leading to the traditional symptoms of aging: wrinkles and fine lines, age spots and hyperpigmentation, saggy skin and a sallow complexion.
We all wish that we could wave a magic wand to recapture what we had in our youth! Fortunately, in this day and age, there are ways to slow or reverse some of these changes. Following are four suggested skin care tips (and a bonus tip!) to turn back the time:
- Treat Your Body Well, Inside and Out: We know how important it is to eat our fruits and vegetables, both full of antioxidants, but how realistically do we eat all servings recommended on a daily basis? One very simple solution is to add a glass of professional quality supplements to your daily routine. BioPharma Scientific Superfood Solution supplements are only available through a health professional – find yours in Santa Barbara at Evolutions Medical Spa – and are packed with powerful nutrients to keep your skin, and body, healthy. Read about all supplements in a past blog post – we recommend the NanOmega supplement which boosts skin health alongside an assortment of other positive benefits.
- Hydrate: Yes, drink your water! And hydrate your skin with a quality moisturizer. With a reduced load of hormones, your skin may become dry and dull, so moisturizer is a must. Remember that whatever you rub on your skin is absorbed, so make sure that your moisturizer is a product that functions underneath the skin, as well as above it. Your goal is to combat free radicals – which is the cause of cell damage and aging – so use a product that is formulated with this in mind. Cosmetic surgeon Dr. Perkins highly recommends REVALÉSKIN® products because they contain CoffeeBerry® extract which is rich in polyphenol antioxidants, such as chlorogenic acid, condensed proanthocyanidins, quinic acid, and ferulic acid, all of which are key fighters of free radical molecules!
- Exfoliate: As we age, cell turnover of your skin slows to almost 40 days (whereas it is about every 28 days in younger adults) which means the skin is thicker and/or dryer resulting in dull skin often accompanied by an uneven texture. Exfoliating the skin helps to accelerate cell turnover and allows your skin care products to absorb more effectively. A simple way to exfoliate at home is to use a gentle exfoliant – like the AFA Exfoliating Gel available in three different strengths – that removes dead skin cells with little to no irritation. Periodically a medical-grade chemical peel can compliment your skin care routine along with mechanical exfoliation such as Vibradermabrasion.
- Lighten, Brighten and Tighten: Hyperpigmentation, sun spots and age spots can be treated in many ways. Often recommended is the Obagi Condition and Enhance System that is a prescription-strength skin care system that treats environmental and sun damage as well as aging, such as fine lines and wrinkles. It is also the system recommended for those who are getting the Obagi Blue Peel (the deepest peel) to see optimum results. There are several ways to treat skin laxity including Dr. Perkins’ Total Tightening Treatment which combines two non-invasive skin tightening treatments available today. There are other skin tightening treatments that are available at Evolutions Medical Spa also. A consultation can help further determine which treatment would be best for you.
- Bonus Tip! Freeze It and Fill It In! We are talking about your wrinkles, of course! Botox and/or Dysport, both FDA-approved for cosmetic use, are a great (temporary) way to smooth forehead wrinkles and crows feet. Our skilled medical aesthetic nurses can inject Botox/Dysport so as to not alter your natural expressions or features. Botox/Dysport treatments typically last 3 to 4 months. Dermal fillers, such as Juvederm, Restylane, and Radiesse, replace the volume lost in our face as we age and can last six months to a year.
Evolutions Medical Spa is here to assist you in the aging process. Dr. Perkins has hand-picked skin care products that are effective and beneficial in conjunction with the array of Santa Barbara spa services offered including facials, chemical peels, FotoFacials, laser facials, Botox/Dysport, laser hair removal, cellulite reduction with VelaShape and more! For a complimentary consultation, call 805.687.0212.
Evolutions Medical Spa’s August event – Skin Appeel – was dedicated to providing you with information on chemical peels, from mild to deep, and everything in between. Since chemical peels are one of the most common procedures at Evolutions, we thought we’d take the opportunity to share what Santa Barbara cosmetic surgeon Dr. Terry Perkins spoke about that evening.
How do chemical peels work and what do they do?
A chemical peel is a controlled-depth injury to the outer layers of the skin. The “injured” tissue exfoliates (“peels”) and new cells rapidly replace the exfoliated cells while collagen and elastin production is increased. Collagen works with elastin to support the body’s tissue – including your facial tissue – keeping your body firm and strong.
As we age, surface cell turnover decreases to 40 or more days (28 days is normal for younger people) coupled with a natural decline in collagen, makes facial skin more prone to sagging and wrinkles. A chemical peel assists in sloughing off older cells as well as increasing collagen and elastin, thereby lightening, tightening and brightening the skin. A chemical peel also smoothes skin and improves texture and color uniformity. Consistent chemical peels, along with great at-home skin care regimen, helps maintain healthier, younger-looking skin throughout your lifetime.
Evolutions Medical Spa offers a variety of peels because skin type is unique and there is not a “one-size-fits-all” chemical peel. Read on about chemical peels offered at Evolutions and a description of each. If you are unsure which chemical peel is right for you, we recommend requesting a complimentary consultation where our highly-trained clinical staff can assist you in making a choice that best suits your needs and your skin.
Pumpkin Antioxidant Facial
The Pumpkin Antioxidant Facial is a relaxing facial that incorporated a pumpkin enzyme peel supercharged with antioxidants that delivers a great exfoliation without major peeling involved. As it draws out impurities, it introduces vitamins, enzymes and nutrients into the skin. The pumpkin peel contains the highest concentration of salicyclic acid, vitamin A, vitamin C and beta-carotene.
The AFA peel addresses aging, sun-damaged, uneven-textured and hyper-pigemented skin. It exfoliates with low irritation and is available in varying strengths to meet individual needs. Little to no peeling occurs and usually a series of five is recommended.
Clay Mask Peel (Advanced Acne Facial)
The Clay Mask Peel is excellent for oily and acne-prone skin. This treatment combines the AFA Peel with a clay mask to absorb oil and skin impurities.
Alpha Beta Peel
Evolutions most popular peel! The Alpha Beta peel is a medium peel that combines alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxy acids into one powerful peel. Strength can be varied (2 to 4 layers) and you will experience peeling for about 3 to 4 days. If you really want to peel and see results quickly, this is a great choice.
Obagi Blue Peel
The Obagi Blue Peel is the deepest, most aggressive peel. It is excellent for pigmentation issues and will significantly improve your complexion – resulting in tighter, firmer, smoother, more youthful-looking skin. For optimum results, a pre- and post home care kit is recommended. The Obagi Blue Peel is only available through physicians.
Evolutions recommends several ways to improve peel results such as doing a series of peels, doing light/laser-based treatments, prepping the skin with a Vibradermabrasion treatment and using physician-recommended products for home skin care.
Chemical peels are an important component in improving and maintaining the quality of your skin throughout your lifetime.
Evolutions Medical Spa Santa Barbara is hosting an educational event that will “appeel” to many! “Skin Appeel” is dedicated to chemical peels and your skin. Chemical peels address many skin concerns including wrinkles and acne, they help to exfoliate the skin, unclog pores and stimulate new collagen and elasatin production for a smoother texture and more radiant skin!
- What chemical peels feel like
- How chemical peels can help age spots, pores, and acne
- How chemical peels and other treatments can be combined for optimum results
As seating is limited, please RSVP to Evolutions at 805.687.0212.
“Skin Appeel”: All About Chemical Peels and Your Skin
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Evolutions Medical Spa Santa Barbara
1309 State Street
Obagi Medical Products and Systems are innovative, results-based topical products that are designed to prevent and improve the most common and visible skin disorders in adult skin such as fine lines, wrinkles, discoloration, acne, and Rosacea.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Seating Limited – RSVP Today!
The Evolutions Anniversary Open House on Wednesday evening was truly a celebration!
Bring your calendars! Plan ahead for your 2010 treatments, facials, chemical peels and more because ALL treatments, series and products will be discounted! Discounts up to 30% on series, facials, and chemical peels. Product gift with selected purchase items.
Bring your questions! Representatives from some of our favorite products and companies will be there to share the latest and greatest and answer your questions too! Representatives from:
- Syneron – the leading laser company in medical aesthetics
- Medicis – the #1 selling dermal filler in the world, along with Perlane and Dysport
- DNA Health Institute – a completely organic and botantical skincare line which will be featuring complimentary skin rejuvenating cocktails
- Revaleskin – skincare products that help reverse the signs of aging, made with Coffeeberry extract, the most potent natural antioxidant concentration
- Vita-Medica (wellness) – a superior-quality nutraceutical supplement line to enhance overall health, wellness and internal skin function
- Sunshine Wellness (wellness) – a local nutritionist and healthy meal delivery service
Bring your good luck charm! We will have raffles, raffles and more raffles! There will be up to four different ways to earn raffle tickets and over $3000 in raffle items! In addition, we will have our famous Prize Wheel for purchases over $100 and an additional spin for purchase of $500. Slots on prize wheel include: a complimentary Laser Genesis treatment (value $295) and a complimentary Vibraderm Plus (Value: $145)
Prepare to be pampered! Enjoy complimentary Mini-Treatments featuring:
- Colorescience (premium Mineral Make-up) – have a mini make-up application done with the best in the biz!
- Mini-Vibraderm – experience a more advanced exfoliating treatment than microderm-abrasion.
- Clarisonic (skincare) – test out the ultimate in skin cleansing which happens to be Dr. Perkins’ #1 home skincare recommendation!
Prepare to be dazzled! Santa Barbara cosmetic surgeon Dr. Terry J. Perkins, and founder/Medical Director, of Evolutions will be doing a LIVE demo of Dysport – the new anti-wrinkle alternative to Botox Cosmetic, read Dr. Perkins’ press release about it here.
Prepare to arrive first! Gift bags for the first 50 attendees!
Help us prepare to see you by kindly RSVP-ing to Evolutions to let us know that we can count you in – 805.687.0212!
See you soon!
Evolutions Medical Spa – voted Santa Barbara’s #1 Medical Spa in 2009 by readers of the Santa Barbara NewsPress and the Independent – is celebrating their 4th anniversary this month!
Meet the Representatives from:
* Syneron – the leading laser company in medical aesthetics
* Medicis – the #1 selling dermal filler in the world, along with Perlane and Dysport
* DNA Health Institute (skincare) – enjoy complimentary skin rejuvenating cocktails; completely organic and botanical skin care.
* Revaleskin (skincare) – helps reverse the signs of aging, made with Coffeeberry extract, the most potent natural antioxidant concentration
* Vita-Medica (wellness) – a superior-quality nutraceutical supplement line to enhance overall health, wellness and internal skin function
* Sunshine Wellness (wellness) – a local nutritionist and healthy meal delivery service
Complimentary Mini-Treatments featuring:
* Colorescience (premium Mineral Make-up) – enjoy complimentary make-up application with the best in the biz!
* Mini-Vibraderm – experience a more advanced exfoliating treatment than microderm-abrasion
* Clarisonic (skincare) – test out the ultimate in skin cleansing (Dr. Perkins’ #1 home skin care recommendation!)
* Gift bags for the first 50 attendees!
* Raffles – up to four different ways to earn raffle tickets and over $3000 in raffle items!
* Prize Wheel for purchases over $100/additional spin for purchase of $500; slots on prize wheel include: a complimentary Laser Genesis treatment (value $295) and a complimentary Vibraderm Plus (Value: $145)
* Dr. Perkins and the Evolutions staff will be on hand for Q&A!
RSVP to Santa Barbara’s Evolutions Medical Spa at 805.687.0212 today!
Give the gift of beautiful skin this holiday season! Santa Barbara’s Evolutions Medical Spa is offering special discounts on gift certificates until December 31st, 2009.
350 Chapala Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Business HoursMonday-Friday: 9am to 7pm
Saturday: 10am to 6pm