How to Find an Excellent Medical Spa – Questions to Ask and Tips from Evolutions Medical Spa
At Evolutions Medical Spa in Santa Barbara we strongly encourage potential clients to ask questions and become informed before committing to a medical spa. In fact, many people are not familiar with the difference between a “medical” spa and a “day” spa – even less familiar with how to discern an okay medical spa from an excellent one. Read on for a bit of background and a few tips on how to find an excellent, trustworthy medical spa (like Evolutions!).
Medical spas, also known as medspas and medi-spas, have a “medical” focus as opposed to relaxation/pampering found at “day spas”. Medical spas offer non-invasive or minimally invasive medical aesthetic services for people who are looking to improve themselves without surgery or extended downtime. Many medical spas offer treatments such as medical grade chemical peels, injections of Botox or Dysport, injections of dermal fillers, laser hair removal and much more in an atmosphere that is more luxurious than a plastic or cosmetic surgeon’s office.
Important questions to ask when researching a medical spa:
- Who is the medical director? Medical spas should be overseen by an appropriately qualified physician meaning those who specialize in aesthetic or skin-related fields such as a cosmetic or plastic surgeon or a dermatologist.
Evolutions Medical Spa is overseen by Dr. Terry J. Perkins, a double board certified cosmetic surgeon, who specializes in aesthetic facial surgery and liposuction and has been practicing for more than 30 years.
- Where is the doctor’s main office? It is ideal for the doctor to be close by so that he is accessible for any patient’s needs.
Dr. Perkins is based in Santa Barbara, he practices cosmetic surgery at his Cosmetic Surgery Center Medical Group office that is just minutes from Evolutions.
- Is the doctor available to see me at the spa to answer questions or available to examine me if there is a complication? It is important to note that procedures such as injections (of Botox, dermal fillers and the like), laser hair removal, FotoFacials, certain chemical peels, etc., are medical procedures that should be done by a trained medical professional with the same care and diligence that you would find in a doctor or surgeon’s office.
Dr. Perkins is always available for a consultation if there is a question or concern, scheduled through Evolutions.
- If there is a complication, the doctor should be available to evaluate the situation. Does the doctor have normal hours at the spa? Knowing that the doctor is available certain days of the week at the medical spa for consultations and evaluations is tremendously important. This insures the doctor is playing an active role in the medical spa and that s/he would be available to see you upon request.
Dr. Perkins holds regular hours at Evolutions, seeing patients at the spa two days per week by appointment.
- Did the medical director personally train the clinicians working at the spa? Training a clinician personally by the medical director indicates that s/he promotes uniformity in the treatment of patients to insure the best results. It also allows the medical director to evaluate the clinician and to provide further training, if necessary, to bring the clinician up to medical-grade standards.
Dr. Perkins personally trains the Evolutions’ nurses and clinicians. He meets with the Evolutions’ staff on a regular basis to insure everyone is kept up-to-date on what is going on at the medical spa.
We hope that you seek answers to these questions when looking for a great medical spa in your town. If you are in the Santa Barbara area and have always wanted to see what Evolutions Medical Spa is about, we hope that our answers to these questions have provided you with insight into our spa and we encourage you to come in and see us! In addition, Evolutions offers a complimentary consultation – fill out our form online – or call us at 805.687.0212 today!