In between treatments at Evolutions Medical Spa, we stress the importance of skin care and developing an at-home skin care routine to maintain your skin. By doing this, your medical spa procedures are more effective and your overall skin health is boosted.
Our guest author, a Santa Barbara skin care expert, will be addressing skin care for women in their 30s in the article below. This is when many of our clients really begin to “take notice” of their skin, the products they are (and aren’t!) using and start to focus on how to keep their skin beautiful for the rest of their adult lives.
- Are you washing your face or are you cleansing? Many people speed through the cleansing routine but do not realize that this step sets the foundation for your skin. If you want products (make up, moisturizer, sunscreen, retinoid cream) to penetrate evenly and effectively, then you may want to take a closer look at your morning and night time face washing routine. One of the products that I highly recommend to invest in (also the #1 recommendation of Evolutions Medical Spa and Dr. Perkins) is the Clarisonic face brush. In a short period of time, this facial brush removes six times more make up and two times more dirt and oil than cleansing with your hands alone. In addition to that, the sonic frequency stimulates the skin, encouraging collagen production (another plus for more mature skin). The Clarisonic can be used with any cleanser: if you have oily or combo skin, use a gel or foaming cleanser and if you have normal or dry skin, use a mild cream cleanser.
- Make an effort to prevent further sun damage. Use a daily broad spectrum sunscreen of SPF 30 or more. Even better, use a sunBLOCK that physically blocks the rays such as titanium dioxide, micronized zinc oxide or iron oxide. These reflect the UV radiation instead of chemical sunscreens that absorb UV. Sunscreen is not for just after your shower and under your make up! If you are going outdoors for a run in the morning or evening, dropping your kids at school or heading to the gym, put sunscreen on first thing in the morning after your facial cleansing – and reapply after a shower, a sweaty workout, swimming, etc., The skin on the face is delicate and needs to be protected at all times! Sun damage leads to hyperpigmentation (think “liver spots”) and wrinkles – essentially it “ages” the skin, and that can happen rapidly.
- Treat your skin inside and out – Antioxidize! Kudos to you if you are eating your fill of antioxidants such as berries and other foods, and even better if you use a moisturizer packed with antioxidants. This way you are treating the skin from the inside and the outside! There are some amazing skin care products that are a long way from our Grandmother’s “Ponds” cream. A few favorites are: Revaleskin which features CoffeeBerry extract – a super antioxidant, the Obagi-C RX System, with 10% L-ascorbic acid, also known as Vitamin C, whose effectiveness against wrinkles and fine lines is backed by a fair amount of scientific evidence, and AFA skin care products that utilize a technology based on the acidification of amino acids that make up the skin’s natural moisture system and results in effective rejuvenation.
- Retin A (Tretinoin) is not just for acne. Consider using a tretinoin cream two to three times per week. Derived from Vitamin A, it penetrates the skin and helps to repair sun damage as well as effectively easing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by increasing skin cell turnover rate and boosting the synthesis of collagen. Tretinoin is available by prescription from a physician.
Often times a reputable medical spa can customize a skin care program that encompasses some, or all, of the above products that are suitable for your skin type. There are also medically non-invasive procedures that you can do from time to time at a medical spa, or with a cosmetic surgeon, to boost your at-home skin care. Some examples follow:
- Go ahead! Treat yourself to a rejuvenating facial. Facials are good for you. They relax your mind and body and, most importantly, provide a thorough cleansing and exfoliation for your skin. With freshly exfoliated (and sometimes, extracted) skin, your at-home skin products will sink in more, working effectively and evenly.
- Go deeper! Explore peels and/or FotoFacials. Chemical peels come in different varieties (light, medium, or deep) to address different skin issues such as hyperpigmentation and sun damage. Peels offer great results with a minimal amount of down time. A medical spa under the supervision of a physician, will offer medical-grade peels (stronger) than a peel available at a “day spa”. Chemical peels deeply exfoliate and stimulate collagen and elastin production improving your complexion and leaving you with firmer, younger skin. FotoFacials significantly improve texture and appearance by reducing sun damage, redness, fine lines and large pores.
- Get exfoliated! By a professional. Exfoliating face wash works to a certain degree, but not as significantly as a professional exfoliation. Microdermabrasion, once a very popular exfoliating treatment, is now being replaced by a superior exfoliating method called Vibradermabrasion. The suction in microdermabrasion can result in broken capillaries, whereas Vibraderm has no suction, is pleasant and fast. Abrasive paddles vibrate at a rapid rate to exfoliate your skin and stimulate collagen production.
- Iron out your wrinkles! Consider anti-wrinkle treatments of Botox or Dysport to relax facial wrinkles. The development of frown lines between the eyebrows or wrinkles on the forehead can rapidly age a person. Botox and Dysport temporarily relax the muscles that contract, stopping the wrinkle and leaving you with a smooth, wrinkle-free forehead. If administered properly by a highly-trained clinician, you will look natural, relaxed, just as you did in your 20s!
Evolutions Medical Spa Santa Barbara can assist you in looking your best! Skin care consultations available, as well as rejuvenating facials, chemical peels, FotoFacials, Vibraderm treatments, Botox, Dysport, medical-grade skin care products and more! For questions, or a complimentary consultation, call 805.687.0212.