Clarisonic skin care / Medical Spa Santa Barbara / Santa Barbara Beauty for 20s / skin care spa tips / skin care tips
Our Santa Barbara skin care expert is back – and guest authoring a piece on skin care for women in their 20s.
– Skin Care Tips for Women in Your 20s –
Often the early 20s is a transitional period for many young women. For most this means that their hormones have become more balanced and they see a decrease in acne breakouts (although for some acne continues well into the 20s and beyond – read more about acne management tips from Santa Barbara cosmetic surgeon Dr. Perkins).
Developing a good skin care regimen is important to do in your 20s because it sets the tone (literally and figuratively!) for the future of your skin. Damage to skin could have started as early as childhood (from excessive exposure to sun and/or sunburns) but may not show up until your 30s and beyond so now is the time to begin a regimen to keep your skin healthy and, hopefully, to correct some of the damage and/or, at the very least keep, it at a minimum.
- Make an investment in your skin. Start using the Clarisonic skin care brush twice daily with a mild cleanser dedicated to your skin type (oily, normal or dry). Toss the benzoyl peroxide-based teenage face wash formulas.
- Use a broad-spectrum SPF 30 (or higher) sunscreen that provides a physical sunblock. Obagi or TiZo makes sunscreens that contain titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide that provides a physical barrier to the sun’s penetrating UVA and UVB rays. The price tag may be more than you are used to, but a little goes a long way. Prevention of sun damage now means less money spent in your future on trying to erase sun damage! Use daily, year round, and reapply after swimming or excessive perspiration.
- Use a retinoid two to five times per week at night. Retinoids (commonly known as the brand name “Retin-A”) were traditionally prescribed to fight acne. Additional benefits of retinoids have surfaced such as increasing cell turnover, boosting collagen, stabilizing aging cells and helping to reverse photodamage (in the forms of wrinkles and age spots).
- Use an exfoliating wash or serum three to five times per week to remove dry or dead skin cells, increase cell turnover, decrease clogged pores which leaves your skin with a healthy glow.
- If your skin is on the oily side, you still need to keep your skin hydrated with an oil-free moisturizer that delivers all the benefits of a regular moisturizer without pore-clogging ingredients. If you’re skin is dry, use a regular moisturizer. Apply the moisturizer at night.
- And if you are still experience breakouts, consider using a 2% salicyclic acid and/or benzoyl peroxide cream as needed.
There is no better time to start a great skin care regimen than in your 20s. You won’t regret it and you will thank yourself in the years to come!