Our “Summer Skincare” event provided us with so much information that we have decided to split the recap into three posts – each dedicated to the three topics of the evening – all of which are equally important. The first topic was about the Clarisonic Skin Care System and can be read here. The second topic was about Obagi Medical Products and can be read here. Our final topic is about Colorescience mineral makeup.
What is Colorescience Mineral Makeup?
Colorescience is a sunscreen company with an emphasis on beauty. The company operates under the motto “We will not compromise health for beauty or beauty for health”. True to those words, Colorescience makeup is made up of pure minerals – there are no dyes, talcs, alcohols, mineral oils or fragrance in their products. Colorescience uses titanium and zinc – natural sunscreens – in their products so they protect against sun damage while also correcting your complexion.
Tip: Many makeup companies these days have introduced a “mineral” line of makeup but most of these only contain a trace amount of minerals. To test the purity of mineral makeup, pour the powder into a glass of water. Mineral makeup should float on top, without falling through (see image on right).
Four Must-Haves from Colorescience
There are four daily steps that will lead to your most perfect canvas:
1 ) Prep and Prime: The first step to a perfect complexion is to minimize the look of pores and fill in fine lines and wrinkles. Colorescience PRO offers four SPF 20 face primers to set the stage for seamless makeup application:
- Skin Brightening Primer: illuminates and improves the look of your skin. A yellow tint refines redness to deliver a vibrant glow.
- Wild to Mild Primer: one of the most popular primers – Wild to Mild gives a sheer, sun-kissed look while protecting and soothing to even skin tones.
- Chocolate Mousse Mattifying Primer: this cocoa-based primer is an excellent choice for oily or shiny complexions and darker skin tones. It works to hydrate and balance and provides a matte finish.
- About Face Calming Primer: for sensitive skin, this primer diminishes redness and irritation for a calmer complexion.
2) Colore and Correct: Hide imperfections and achieve an overall even skin tone when you colore and correct with Colorescience PRO foundations and correctors. Blend and layer to achieve maximum correction.
- Sheer Creme Foundation: this silky foundation is designed for seamless coverage. Use with a powder for a flawless finish.
- Loose Mineral Foundation SPF 20: this lightweight, very water resistant powder feels as smooth as a cream, but doesn’t dry the skin.
- Pressed Mineral Foundation: pressed minerals can provide light to full coverage without the thick look of traditional pressed powder.
3) Set and Refresh: Colorescience PRO setting mists turns minerals into a velvety finish. They keep minerals in place while adding hydration to your skin. Use throughout the day to revitalize your look. Three types of mist available: Sunforgettable to be used before, during and after sun exposure, Be Still for all skin types, and Problem Skin setting mist.
4) Protect and Shield: Sunforgettable SPF 30 and 50 are lightweight minerals that block 97% and 98.2% (respectively) of the UV rays. The minerals are translucent and feel barely-there so they can be used on men and children without looking like they have makeup on. Dr. Terry Perkins, of Santa Barbara Cosmetic Surgery Center, recommends using sunscreen year round to keep your skin healthy and youthful. Colorescience Sunforgettable self-dispensing brushes make it easy for men, women, and children to apply, and re-apply, SPF throughout the day.
Tip: Clean the brush two to three times per week. Spray the brush cleaner on a washcloth and hold brush upright (so the minerals won’t dispense) and swipe back and forth on the washcloth.
Find Colorescience in Santa Barbara at Evolutions Medical Spa. Next time you’re in, ask one of our clinicians to show you how Colorescience can enhance your look!