Enjoy skin care tips and suggestions for women in their 50s and beyond from our in-house skin care expert at Evolutions Medical Spa Santa Barbara.
Last week at the November Evolutions Event, the featured product was Radiesse, a dermal filler, designed to add volume to faces that have aged. The representative from Radiesse highlighted several reasons about why we age, including collagen loss. After sitting through the presentation, I had two thoughts –
the first being that we are lucky to live in this day and super science-savvy age where the availability of products to “reverse” (or at least “freeze”) the signs of aging are in abundance and, second, that an article about skin care tips for women in their 50s and beyond would be a great follow-up to the Radiesse presentation.
As I mentioned before, the decline of collagen and elastin are one of the primary reasons that the face shows signs of aging and this can happen as young as 25. Through research, we have found that there are ways to stimulate the collagen, which helps to maintain younger, healthy-looking skin. Following these tips may not turn back the clock (for everyone), but certainly will give your skin a boost:
- Cleanse! Cleanse twice daily with a mild, rich and lathering foam cleanser.
- Protect your skin. Sun damage is another culprit in aging your skin and can often create uneven pigmentation as well. Use an SPF 30 (or higher) broad spectrum sunblock and one that creates a physical barrier is even better. A physical sunblock sits atop your skin and must have these two active ingredients: zinc oxide and titanium dioxide (TIZO SPF 40).
- Moisturize with antioxidants (Revaleskin with CoffeeBerry extract) and or Pro-Niacian (Nia 24). Use on the face, hands, décolleté, and neck.
- Use a retinoid (such as Retin-A) two times per week. A retinoid helps to stop the breakdown of collagen after sun exposure and can increase the amount of new collagen formed (read more about this in an article from the NY Times).
- Treat yourself to a facial . . . on a regular basis (every 4 to 6 weeks is optimum). Aside from giving you an hour or more of alone time where you can relax and feel pampered, a comprehensive facial can clean and exfoliate your skin, moisturize, re-balance and re-hydrate your skin. All these factors encourage collagen production so that your facial “glow” may last longer than the day your receive the treatment!
- Chemical peels and/or FotoFacials address skin irregularities and sun damage. Chemical peels are a great way to see results rapidly. FotoFacials are usually done in a series for best results.
- Dermal fillers (Radiesse, Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane) are great to restore facial contours such as plumping cheekbones, raising eyebrows, filling in the nasolabial line between your nose and your outer lip.
- Botox or Dysport help relax forehead wrinkles. This treatment alone can take years off your face!
- Sublative Rejuvenation is great for skin resurfacing – addresses wrinkles and/or pigmentation issues – and encouraging collagen production.
- The Total Tightening procedure tones, tightens and lifts, fighting skin laxity to the maximum!
- Dr. Perkins’ Layered Liquid Lift is a non-surgical facelift, with little downtime, that can turn back the clock ten years! View a video of a patient getting the Layered Liquid Lift procedure.
Finally, if you are interested in permanent aesthetic facial rejuvenation (facelifts and more), Dr. Perkins performs cosmetic surgery in Santa Barbara at Cosmetic Surgery Center in his own fully-accredited surgical suite.
We can’t help growing older, but we can keep ourselves looking young!
If you are interested or have questions about any of the skin care products mentioned, or would like to schedule a complimentary consultation for any of our Santa Barbara medical spa services, contact Evolutions at 805.687.0212. If you would like to schedule a cosmetic surgery consultation with Dr. Perkins, contact Cosmetic Surgery Center at 805.563.0000.