Home Care Info
You are here: Home / Services / Products / Home Care Info
HOME SKIN CARE INFORMATION
Good home care is an essential part of achieving and maintaining long-term skin health. The following two sections go over the most frequently asked questions we receive about skin care as well as what types of products make up the “basics” of a good home care program.
If you have further questions or would like professional assistance developing a customized program with medical grade, therapeutic skin care, please call us 805-695-2210 and schedule a complimentary consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a comprehensive home care regimen that important?
Yes! Though laser and other skin treatments at Evolutions can correct many problems, our advanced therapy is only part of the solution. To achieve an optimal improvement, the procedures done at the spa must be combined with a good daily regimen of therapeutic products. In fact, consistent use of professional home care may account for as much as 40-50% of your overall result.
How do products I purchase at Evolutions compare to what I can get at a drug store?
The products available at Evolutions are pharmaceutical grade and have a high percentage of active ingredients. Products made for mass marketing like those you get in drug stores (or even high-end department stores) often have high amounts of fillers and preservatives to counter bacterial growth and prolong “shelf life.” They also tend to have lower quantities of active ingredients. Because there has been no professional evaluation/recommendation before or after the product has been purchased, it is in the manufacturer’s interest to “water down” the products to minimize any potential adverse reactions (which in turn limits the benefits).
Why do you carry so many product lines?
Each product we carry was chosen by Dr. Perkins after extensive research. Unlike some medical spas or physician offices that carry only two or three skin care “lines,” Evolutions has products from 14 different lines. This is because no single line has the best product in each category. At Evolutions we carry items that are unique (often patent-protected and only available through a physician) and “the best of the best” from many different companies. Our trained staff is then able to construct a customized program specifically for you and your skin.
Once I have a good home care regimen, should I stick with it?
No. Our bodies are extremely dynamic and adaptable. If you keep using the same products month after month, your skin will adapt and the effect of the products will gradually diminish. By changing products periodically, your skin will continue to respond in a positive manner. Think of it like cross training when you work out at the gym. By alternating the exercises you do, you burn more calories and have a greater positive effect on your body’s health.
We are here to help and will assist you in developing an ongoing program that maximizes the benefits to your skin.
What are the important elements of a good skin care regimen?
Cleaning the skin is the first step in any skin care program. We highly recommend the Clarisonic brush be used in conjunction with your preferred cleanser. Beyond that, a comprehensive program should include retinoids, exfoliants, antioxidants, and sun protection. Some clients should also consider moisturizers and skin type specific products. For more information, read the following section on the Basics of a Comprehensive Home Care Program.
Basics of a Comprehensive Home Care Program
The following five categories are the basic building blocks of a good home care regimen:
- CLEANSERS: The first step in any skin care program. It is necessary to clean make-up, dirt, and oil from your skin in order to allow the therapeutic products to have a maximum effect. Poor cleansing can also result in clogged pores.
- EXFOLIANTS: Work by increasing cell turnover. As we age, cell turnover decreases, which can give the skin a “dull” look and/or a rough, uneven color and feel. By helping to remove the outer skin layers, exfoliants “freshen” the skin, as well as allow other therapeutic products to penetrate more effectively. Furthermore, with proper use, exfoliants help the skin to become more hydrated.
- ANTIOXIDANTS: Fight against the free radical injury (environmental chemical compounds that cause skin DNA damage) that is associated with sun damage, skin aging, and skin cancer. Topical application of “active” antioxidants is far more effective than oral ingestion. Consistent use of antioxidant skin care helps repair prior environmental damage as well as decreases future damage.
- RETINOIDS: Help to normalize skin cell growth. They decrease the development of abnormal cells (such as cancer), pigment clumping (brown spots), and the activity of some enzymes that cause skin degradation. They also work to increase collagen and elastic production, which makes the skin look healthier and more youthful.
- SUN PROTECTION (UV Protection): The most basic and important thing you can do for your skin. It is critical to wear a broadband (UVA and UVB) sunscreen every day as the damage UV radiation causes leads to premature aging, abnormal pigmentation, spider veins, and skin cancer. UVB rays cause sunburns and directly damage DNA. UVA rays penetrate more deeply, creating oxidative damage that causes aging and skin sagging. Please note that UVA rays are present even on cloudy days and the majority of sun damage is caused by incidental exposure (not “laying out”). If you do nothing else for your skin, wear a good sunscreen daily!
Depending on your skin type and condition, these might also be important:
- MOISTURIZERS: Help skin appear smoother and younger by hydrating cells. This reduces the appearance of fine wrinkles, makes the skin recover faster from environmental stressors, and decreases water loss through the skin.
- SKIN TYPE SPECIFIC PRODUCTS: Depending on your skin type and condition (i.e., acne prone, mature, dry, etc), specific products may provide additional benefit.
Choosing the right care regimen can be difficult. Don’t worry, we are here to help! Our experienced staff can help design a skin care program specifically for you that, combined with in-office procedures, will help you look your best for years to come!
Call now (805-695-2210) to schedule a complimentary consultation.