Santa Barbara’s cosmetic surgeon Dr. Terry Perkins, who also happens to be the founder and medical director of Evolutions, recently wrote an eHow article about Botox and Dysport. Botox Cosmetic and Dysport are two anti-wrinkle neuromodulators that are available at Santa Barbara’s Evolutions Medical Spa.
Not surprisingly, most people don’t consider a trip to the doctor’s office as exciting as a trip to a AAA Five Diamond Resort Spa! Dr. Terry Perkins, a Santa Barbara cosmetic surgeon and skin rejuvenation specialist for over 30 years, understands this fact. Dr. Perkins has partnered with the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, one of the top resorts in North America, to give his current and future clients a great new option as to where they would like to receive their medical cosmetic treatments.
Many people equate going to the doctor’s office with an illness. Dr. Perkins comments, “The procedures I do are elective and my clients are healthy. Consequently, many of them would love to combine their treatment with a rejuvenating day at a top-rated U.S. spa”. At the Ojai Valley Inn’s Spa, Dr. Perkins and his talented nurses will be offering injectables such as Dysport, Botox, Restylane, Perlane, and Radiesse. Dysport and Botox Cosmetic help reduce frown lines and other wrinkles while Restylane, Perlane and Radiesse are dermal fillers that are used to enhance many facial features. All are considered non-invasive treatments.
Clients who see Dr. Perkins at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa will have complimentary access to their state-of-the-art spa center on the day of their appointment. Spa Ojai boasts two pools, mind/body classes, plush locker rooms and extraordinary spa services from massages to body treatments, facials and more. Dr. Perkins, who is also the founder of a Santa Barbara medical spa called Evolutions, will offer services at Spa Ojai three to four times per month in addition to services at Evolutions Medical Spa in Santa Barbara.
The pairing of Dr. Perkins, who was voted “Best Cosmetic Surgeon” by Santa Barbara residents in the 2009 Santa Barbara NewsPress Readers Choice Awards, with a world-renowned spa that was hailed as one of the “Top 10 Best Spas” in USA Today, makes perfect sense. As the exclusive provider of medical aesthetic procedures for Spa Ojai, Dr. Perkins brings his cosmetic expertise to a truly luxurious environment, giving his clients the best of both worlds.
At Evolutions Medical Spa in Santa Barbara we strongly encourage potential clients to ask questions and become informed before committing to a medical spa. In fact, many people are not familiar with the difference between a “medical” spa and a “day” spa – even less familiar with how to discern an okay medical spa from an excellent one. Read on for a bit of background and a few tips on how to find an excellent, trustworthy medical spa (like Evolutions!).
Medical spas, also known as medspas and medi-spas, have a “medical” focus as opposed to relaxation/pampering found at “day spas”. Medical spas offer non-invasive or minimally invasive medical aesthetic services for people who are looking to improve themselves without surgery or extended downtime. Many medical spas offer treatments such as medical grade chemical peels, injections of Botox or Dysport, injections of dermal fillers, laser hair removal and much more in an atmosphere that is more luxurious than a plastic or cosmetic surgeon’s office.
Important questions to ask when researching a medical spa:
- Who is the medical director? Medical spas should be overseen by an appropriately qualified physician meaning those who specialize in aesthetic or skin-related fields such as a cosmetic or plastic surgeon or a dermatologist.
Evolutions Medical Spa is overseen by Dr. Terry J. Perkins, a double board certified cosmetic surgeon, who specializes in aesthetic facial surgery and liposuction and has been practicing for more than 30 years.
- Where is the doctor’s main office? It is ideal for the doctor to be close by so that he is accessible for any patient’s needs.
- Is the doctor available to see me at the spa to answer questions or available to examine me if there is a complication? It is important to note that procedures such as injections (of Botox, dermal fillers and the like), laser hair removal, FotoFacials, certain chemical peels, etc., are medical procedures that should be done by a trained medical professional with the same care and diligence that you would find in a doctor or surgeon’s office.
Dr. Perkins is always available for a consultation if there is a question or concern, scheduled through Evolutions.
- If there is a complication, the doctor should be available to evaluate the situation. Does the doctor have normal hours at the spa? Knowing that the doctor is available certain days of the week at the medical spa for consultations and evaluations is tremendously important. This insures the doctor is playing an active role in the medical spa and that s/he would be available to see you upon request.
- Did the medical director personally train the clinicians working at the spa? Training a clinician personally by the medical director indicates that s/he promotes uniformity in the treatment of patients to insure the best results. It also allows the medical director to evaluate the clinician and to provide further training, if necessary, to bring the clinician up to medical-grade standards.
Dr. Perkins personally trains the Evolutions’ nurses and clinicians. He meets with the Evolutions’ staff on a regular basis to insure everyone is kept up-to-date on what is going on at the medical spa.
We hope that you seek answers to these questions when looking for a great medical spa in your town. If you are in the Santa Barbara area and have always wanted to see what Evolutions Medical Spa is about, we hope that our answers to these questions have provided you with insight into our spa and we encourage you to come in and see us! In addition, Evolutions offers a complimentary consultation – fill out our form online – or call us at 805.687.0212 today!
Yesterday Evolutions Medical Spa in Santa Barbara held an exciting educational event introducing Dysport – the first real alternative to Botox. On hand was the Dysport representative (left in the picture) who held an informative presentation and question and answer period followed by a live demonstration by Dr. Terry Perkins of a patient receiving Dysport. In addition, attendees who purchased a Dysport treatment at the event received a special discount and one lucky raffle winner won a free treatment!
Key points that we learned about Dysport:
- It is a form of botulinum toxin type A (and so is Botox)
- The “onset” time is shorter than Botox, with patients seeing results as early as 24 – 36 hours after treatment
- Dysport is FDA approved and has been used in Europe since the early 1990s
- Dysport is measured in units that are different than Botox and it works out to be a better value than Botox
- Dysport is commonly used to treat wrinkles in the forehead and around the eyes and can also be used to treat hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Dysport typically lasts three to four months
- Dysport is injected with a small needle to specific areas – see live demonstration picture below:
Read more about Dsyport and Botox on Evolutions website. A Dysport treatment session usually lasts 30 minutes. Call Evolutions to book your appointment today – 805.687.0212!
This Wednesday, Evolutions Medical Spa in Santa Barbara, will be hosting an evening of Education at Evolutions! Featuring DYSPORT – the first “real” alternative to Botox!
Discover the similarities between Dysport and Botox
See a live demonstration performed by Dr. Perkins
Enter for a chance to win a free Dysport treatment
Enjoy a pre-purchase special exclusively for attendees
Now available at Evolutions Medical Spa in Santa Barbara – DYSPORT!! An alternative to Botox®, Dysport is another effective treatment to smoothing lines between your brows and reducting wrinkles in your forehead and around the eyes. Dysport is a better value per unit than Botox – it works faster and is a smaller molecule so 20 units of Botox equals 50 units of Dysport.
Here are some other similarities and differences between Dysport and Botox®:
- Both Dysport and Botox are forms of Botulinum Toxin Type A.
- Both products have been used in Europe for almost 20 years to treat certain types of muscle disorders.
- Botox received FDA approval for cosmetic use in the U.S. in 2002. Dysport recently received FDA approval.
- Both products are safe and effective in the treatment of wrinkles on the face (“frown lines”).
- Dysport works faster (1-3 days vs. 4-7 days for Botox) and has FDA approval for a four month duraction (vs. 3-4 months for Botox).
Evolutions Medical Spa in Santa Barbara is owned by cosmetic surgeon Dr. Terry Perkins. Dr. Perkins has more than 30 years of cosmetic surgery experience in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties and was one of only 16 doctors in the United States to conduct a study leading to the FDA approval of Botox for cosmetic use in 1999. Dr. Perkins is excited to introdue Dysport – a real alternative to Botox!
>> Evolutions is offering an introductory special for a limited time! <<
Call 805.687.0212 to book your appointment today to try Dysport!
Did you know that financing is available through CareCredit for any, or all, of your procedures at Evolutions Medical Spa in Santa Barbara? Once approved, you can use your CareCredit card for procedures at over 90,000 participating health care practices including Cosmetic Surgery Center in Santa Barbara. Learn more about CareCredit here.
Summer is here in Santa Barbara and, yes!, there is a way to stop the embarrassing sweaty underarms or sweaty palms so you that you may enjoy the season in confidence!
Some of you may be familiar with the term hyperhidrosis – a clinical term for a condition where a person produces an abnormal increase in perspiration to regulate the body. Many of us suffer from hyperhidrosis – not only in day-to-day activities, but in events in our lives that will live forever in our memories – weddings, big work presentations, reunions – not knowing that there is a solution out there that is much better than grocery store deodorant.
At Evolutions Medical Spa in Santa Barbara we are here to help! We can cut your sweating up to 90% for six to eight months using an FDA-approved treatment of BOTOX injections. Botox blocks the signals sent to the treated sweat glands telling them to sweat. Enjoy your summer with dry, odorless underarms (or palms or feet)!
If you’d like to know more, contact Evolutions Medical Spa Santa Barbara via our online complimentary consultation form or call us for an appointment at 805-687-0212. We also use Botox for smoothing lines and reducing wrinkles!
For more information on hyperhidrosis, visit the International Hyperhidrosis Society.
350 Chapala Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Business HoursMonday-Friday: 9am to 7pm
Saturday: 10am to 6pm